I have a lot to balance- my full time writing job, this blog, caring for a house and making sure food is on the table at the appropriate times, as well as caring for my toddler, and spending time with my loving boyfriend. The problem with all of that is that I suck at balancing. Like badly.
First comes my toddler, then comes work, then comes the house, and my boyfriend comes last. That’s just kind of how it works out.
One thing I’ve been noticing lately though is that my work time is creeping up on my time with my toddler. I mainly work when she’s asleep, but recently I’ve been letting the time sort of meld together. It’s the holiday season and it’s been so busy that it’s easy to let her spend all day playing alone while I work and try to accomplish things around the house.
I’ve found myself placing her in front of the television longer than her normal hour a day. I’ve noticed that I set her up with her crafts and walk away to work instead of doing them with her. I’ve seen myself slide her a book and continue to do dishes when I could have sat and read to her.
Don’t get me wrong, I think alone time is super important for toddlers. It teaches them to be independent, but I don’t think it should happen all day.
Oh, and then there’s the boyfriend thing. He’s been suffering my business lately too. We used to cuddle up nightly together to watch a show or talk in bed, but recently, I’ve been skipping that time to catch up on sleep, work, or chores. Because of that, our relationship is clearly lacking the closeness its seen in the past.
So, I’ve decided to do something about this before it all comes sliding down on me.
I don’t usually like to set resolutions, especially when it comes to things like weight loss because, well, if I wasn’t working on that whole thing on November or December, let alone the rest of the year, it probably isn’t going to be any different this time around. New years aren’t really fresh starts for me. They’re just another time to continue on with life as I know it. I don’t think I could survive if it were any different for me. I do set goals throughout the year though. I promise I’m not some goal-less loser. Really.
This year though, I decided I would make some resolutions revolving around balancing my family life. Those goals I know I will actually work on starting right at the beginning of this fresh new year.
Here are my top 5 family goals for 2016:
- Set aside 4 hours per week to be with my boyfriend. No phones, no distractions. Television is OK.
- Get back into the routine of doing at least one craft with the wee one once daily, except on crazy days. Makeups for those days will happen on a less crazy day when we will have time for two or more crafts.
- Set aside 1 hour per week to do me. A long bubble bath, reading, writing for fun, and other things of that sort.
- Set side 3 times a month when we can go do something “big” as a family such as a trip to the library, our local Children’s Museum, the book store, the lake, the park, etc.
- Do one nice thing for my boyfriend and my daughter per week. A sweet note, a little present (favorite candy, treat, small non-food related items), a surprise trip, etc.
What goals do you have for you and your family? Tell me in the comments! I’d love to hear from you.